Monday, July 13, 2015

DuClaw Brewing: SWEET BABY JESUS Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter

I am back and with me I have brought an AMAZING BEER! So as with my last post, I had a pretty busy last few weeks, and am about a month late on this post, apologies. Without further ado I present the review of Duclaw Brewing's SWEET BABY JESUS!

A wise man once said, any day is a good day to have a porter, and today that rings very true. I picked this brew up at my usual liquor and beer store, what caught me was the name. It takes some balls to put that on a beer, so i figured what the hell, lets give it a try, man o man that was a good decision. As you can deduct from the title, it is a chocolate and peanut butter porter, which I am a sucker for  because Reese Cups are my favorite candy, this is the closest tasting beer to a Reese Cup I have come across. The color is black, tan head, not super thick and not long lasting. The first sip is smooth chocolatey which lasts a few seconds, then it morphs to a slight bitter but before it overwhelms the peanut butter races in and rides out the after taste. Minutes after a sip you can still detect a slight peanut presence. I would recommend drinking this on its own, so as not to mask its awesome and powerful flavors. Technical's of the beer: 33IBU, 16 on the Plato Scale and 6.2% ABV. It is made with 5 kinds of malt (Pale, Chocolate, Crystal, Munich, and Brown) topped off with roasted barley and Fuggle and Goldings Hops. All this combines to make one hell of a beer, netting itself the 2014 Bronze Medal at the Great American Beer Festival in the Chocolate Beer Category.

The brewer it self hails from the Great State of Maryland and boasts an impressive amount of craft beers as well as multiple restaurants where you can find beers on tap, bottles, or take home growlers. It was founded in 1995 and opened in 1996. They have one brewery in Bel Air and the second is in Abingdon MD. Their company mantra from founder Dave Benfield: "Make it Cool". This is definitely a place i would love to visit if I find myself in Maryland, currently they do not offer tours as they are still expanding, but hopefully in the near future they will!

I give this beer a 10/10, the best porter I have ever had, and one of the best beers to rush down my gullet. The price was $12, steep for a 6 pack, but well worth it, highly recommend that you try it!









No comments:

Post a Comment