Monday, July 20, 2015

DESTIHL Brewery: Wild Sour- Counter ClockWeisse

Greetings, I am branching out to a totally new kind of beer to me, a Berliner-style Weisse Bier aka a Sour Beer. Typically a sour is a very pale, light bodied brew, low in hops, with a very noticeable tartness due to wild yeasts and lactic fermentation (science stuff).  Anyways, my good friend turned me onto these beers as he usually gets them, at first I wasnt a huge fan, mostly because I'm big on beers that go well with foods, this style..not so much. I have been sampling a few here and there and decided to pick this one up at The Winking Lizard: Lizardville Tavern, perhaps due to the yellow can drawing me in.


First off, yes that is a small glass, I am running out of new cool clear beer glasses to show off, so this one had to do! The beer is SOUR, as you would imagine with this style of beer, not sour like a warhead candy, but a pleasant lemon sour/tart with a nice clean finish, perfect for drinking on a burning hot day like today was. Very clear and light body, very very drinkable. IBU it rings in at 4...yes 4..and ABV is 3%, which is pitiful if you're out to get drunk, but if you want a light beer to drink after mowing the lawn its a perfect beer. Cost wise, $1.75, fairly priced for a craft beer and would definitely pick up a 6-pack if I come across one.

Brewers Note: DESTIHL brewery hails from Bloomington, Illinois and surprisingly has only been around since 2007, when a fed up lawyer changed careers and opened a brewery and restaurant. They are now pumping out 15,000 barrels a year, in 29 different varieties,7 of which are part of the Wild Sour Series. Not certain if they offer tours, but they do have 2 gastropubs, both in Illinois, so if you are in Champaign or Normal, stop in and ask for a Counter-Clockweisse

Overall rate this beer at a 7/10, would buy again.











No comments:

Post a Comment